[OS X TeX] Large Figure in Document? (and slow response of TeXShop)

Martin Henning martin at easy2design.de
Sun Nov 13 11:15:28 CET 2005

hi folks,

On Nov 13, 2005, at 12:59 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> 512MB of RAM seems to be ridiculously low. When my machine has
> started up about 700MB are immediately used and my experience with
> various G4 and G5 have convinced me that 1.5GB should be the
> minimum amount of RAM for a fairly smooth behaviour of your
> computer. If you perform memory intensive tasks, however,  this
> amount won't be sufficient.

claus, i don't know what stuff your machine is loading on startuup,
but 700MB initial usage seem to be 'ridiculously' high! maybe you can
optimise some stuff? i have 1,25 GB and after startup i have 160mb
being used............

On Nov 13, 2005, at 0:47, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

>> I am writing a paper with a large figure of 25 MB in eps format.
>> After
>> compiling, the viewer of TeXShop took a long long long time to draw

>> Is there anyway to improve the situation?

do u really need SO many datapoints in the graphics file? i mean you
are using a vector format, so you should use tthe advantages of this
foormat, instead of trying to build pixel pictures inside a vector
format :) curves can be well optimised using common vector graphic
tools. also you should make use of the package 'eps2pdf'...

vetortools you might want to try for optimising your graphcics file:
scribus, cenon, inkscape - all of them freeware...

>> My system is 10.4.3, with 512 MB memory.

os x itself needs the 512mb to ruun flawlessly - without advanced
appplications that is. if i only look at the ram consumption of
safari (that's why i use firefox!) or itunes/iphoto... hallojulia! :)

>> I also tried the same document in WinEdt on Windows, the performance
>> actually is way better ... (The window machine tested has 1GB memory.
>> Not sure if this makes difference.)

yes, the ram does :) the editoor doesn't, because the TeX subsystem
iss doing the work, not the editor...

>> PS. The eps figure is merely several simple black and white curves
>> consisting of a huge amount of data points. I wonder if there's
>> anyway
>> to compress the figure?

most certainly! in ilustratoor is is called "simplify", in other
programs you can find equally well working functions.... i guuess you
will cut down the size to 1/50th :)

ciao,

martin

p.s.: full quote is awful :P