[OS X TeX] file search

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Nov 6 16:35:33 CET 2005

On Nov 6, 2005, at 9:10 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> Herb,
>
> I will give this a try, but...
>
> why does File Search fool me into thinking it will abide by my
> search criteria (i.e. visible and invisible files, search volumes)
> when it apparently has no intention of doing so?
>

> Themis

Howdy,

I wish I knew! I wish that File Search retained its old behavior
although I've found Spotlight, after forcing indexing in certain
directories, to be quite wonderful.

Early on with 10.4 I was running into a bug I couldn't resolve. When
I ran the problem through Spotlight it found a reference to the bug
inside and old pdf document I had put aside and forgotten about.
That, plus the ability to index places that aren't usually indexed,
has me using Spotlight more and more. The 10.4.3 update seems to have
resolved other problems I was having that I believe were indirectly
related to indexing and Spotlight also seems to search faster on my
trusty old 550MHz TiBook.

By the way, you can turn off indexing for a volume (e.g., a backup
volume) by using

mdutil -E -i off /Volumes/VolumeName

If you are doing cloning to that volume it will get turned back on by
the cloning process so you'll have to do that over again. I use
SuperDuper to clone and it can run a script after the clone so that
works very nicely; go to the SuperDuper Forums, <http://www.shirt-
pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361> for the script to use with
SuperDuper. A very nice shareware program that can make all sorts of
Safety Clones, etc.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)