[OS X TeX] epstopdf can't find Ghostscript

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue May 31 22:50:36 CEST 2005

On 31 May 2005, at 12:16, Tom Stace wrote:

> Dear Pete,
>

>> What is 'which gs' returning in Terminal?
>>

> [lapc-0805:~] tomstace% which gs
> /usr/local/bin/gs
>

>> Is the string before /gs contained in the output of this command
>> in Terminal?
>>
>>     defaults read "${HOME}/.MacOSX/environment" PATH
>>

> No... in fact that directory is embarrassingly empty.  I have
> created a new plist with that path in it, and epstopdf now works
> again.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to point this out,

I feel compelled to point out that this is not a safe and stable
solution but it ssems to spread anyway because of incomplete GUI
applications. The environment.plist file is a leftover from NEXTSTEP
and because it influences all apps it may have unwanted and
unexpected effects (in fact it can break i-Installer if the contents
are broken)

The correct way is to have the GUI *application* (and not a global
setting for all GUI applications) set the right PATH before executing
commands.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>