[OS X TeX] Multicol help

Christopher Allen Christopher.T.Allen.95 at Alum.Dartmouth.ORG
Sat May 28 21:45:50 CEST 2005

I've been playing around with multicol some, cleaning up output, but
I'm still running into a few problems I cannot solve.

I had two problems that were bothering me initially:
1) I have a three-column list that it itemized (using enumerate). Every
item is of exactly the same size. I want all of the items to line up
across the page. But extra space is placed between the items in the
final column.
2) On the final page of several two-column pages the second column
didn't start at the top of the page. In an alternate version of the
document this problem shows up repeatedly through the document, and
sometimes in the first column of a page.

I should mention I'm using \raggedcolumns; not using it spaces things
very poorly since they're contained in minipage sections to guarantee
individual sections are not broken apart.

Things I've fixed:
1) I set finalcolumnbadness to -1. My impression is that this would
stop multicol from adding the white space between my items in the
right-most column. It seemed to work great... until I looked at the
alternate version. There it did nothing noticeable; the extra space
between items is still being added.
2) I used multicols* instead of multicol. This seemed to work great...
until I looked at the alternate version. In the alternate version it
did fix some of the column tops, but some of the column tops are still
not correct.

Has anyone encountered this before? Does anyone know what to do with
it? I know I can manually go through with \columnbreak to fix this.
However, I'm loathe to do that since I have many \ifthenelse statements
so that a number of variants can be produced.

Thanks,
Chris

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>