[OS X TeX] table help

Luis Sequeira lsequeir at fc.ul.pt
Sat May 21 18:41:04 CEST 2005

>>Here's a commented sample.
>

>actually now I think of it, one thing I would like is to vary the
>columns thus
>
>Big Topic A&Big Topic B (two columns, with vertical line between)
>Sub-topic of A1, sub-topic of A2, sub-topic of B1, sub-topic of B2
>(three vertical lines for 4 columns, and henceforth like that.)
>
>should I just put two together with no gaps?
>
>anyway, experimenting now...will no doubt solve it just as a reply comes
>in..:-)

The tabular environment has commands for doing that sort of thing -
\multicolumn for text that spans several columns, \cline for
horizontal lines that may span several columns but not the whole
width, \vline for vertical lines that appear occasionally but not
through the whole height of the table.

I suggest you experiment with code similar to the snippet below (I
used centered columns all around (c) and several vertical bars in the
formatting and avoided the lowercased L (l), which might be confused
with the vertical bar.

This creates a table that has four columns, but the first line is
made of two titles, each of which spans two columns.

%%%%%%% begin snippet of code
\begin{tabular}{|c|c|c|c|}
\hline
  \multicolumn{2}{|c}{Topic A} & \multicolumn{2}{|c|}{Topic B} \vline\\
\hline
Topic A1 & Topic A2 & Topic B1 & Topic B2\\
\hline

\end{tabular}
%%%%%% end of snippet of code

hth