[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #1374 - 05/16/05

Luis Sequeira lsequeir at fc.ul.pt
Tue May 17 15:18:21 CEST 2005

>  >> I'm having a problem that I think may be related to dvips.
>>>  Rotations are occurring that I can neither explain nor fix. I am
>>>  enclosing a few files with comments. My desire is to get things
>>>  working again with Herb Schulz's version of ps4pdf, however the
>>>  rotation problem seems to even affect the display in TeXShop's pdf
>>>  viewer when compiling with latex-dvips-gs. I seem to remember a
>>>  discussion about this a while back, but can't find it.
>>>

>>  It is related to the epstopdf script. It tries to be smart when
>>  deciding the orientation of a pdf when generating it from an eps
>>  file. A bit too smart for its own good. You can either try to use
>>  pstopdf (which is Apple's converter), or dig inside the epstopdf
>>  script and fix it*. Cheating is allowed: adding invisible,
>>  unrotated text will fool the algorithm, and force the figure to be
>>  in the orientation you expect (or at least the is what I heard).
>>
>>  Maarten

Thanks! Now I know why a document I created (to generate a CD cover)
always ended up upside-down! After reading this thread I tried
running latex and dvips in the terminal and it came out all right,
but it displays upside-down in TeXShop. Actually, I added a blank
page (with just the page number on it) and now this blank page
appears ok, while the page containing the CD cover appears
upside-down - and all the while I was thinking it was something with
pstricks...

Luis Sequeira
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>