[OS X TeX] Memoir class and references

Damon Muller MacOSXTeX at damonam.ml1.net
Tue May 17 05:55:58 CEST 2005

I recently came across a suggestion to check out the Memoir class,
and I must say that I really love it. I love the chapter styles (I'm
using 'demo' at the moment, but I suspect it will be too showy for
the final copy of my PhD thesis), and I've successfully managed to
create a table of case-studies, something I could never get my head
around in vanilla LaTeX.

However, I'm having a bit of trouble with my references list.

To start with, the Memoir manual states that the references should be
in a "thebibliography" environment, which is fine. But it says it
should be used as:

\begin{thebibliography}{(exlabel)}

And then goes on to say "The bibliography is typeset within the
thebibliography environment. This takes one required argument,
(exlabel), which is a piece of text as wide as the widest label in
the bibliography".

Maybe I'm thick, but I can't work out exactly what that means. Can
someone provide an example?

I'm also using apacite as the BibTeX style, which doesn't seem to be
explicitly supported by Memoir, but does generally work okay.
Unfortunately, however, it doesn't put the bibliography in its own
chapter, which the class I was previously using (book, maybe) did.

I'm not sure, however, whether the problem is due to apacite, or to
me no understanding how to use the 'thebibliography' environment.

Cheers,

damon

--
It so happens that I have mail-order degrees in muderology and
murderonomy.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>