[OS X TeX] OT: effective Macintosh Trojan in the wild

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Sun May 8 19:14:52 CEST 2005

On May 8, 2005, at 11:13 AM, Bernhard Barkow wrote:

> If you don't use ClamAV, I guess it can't do any harm to delete the
> user with the Netinfo Utility; of course, it will probably do even
> less harm to just leave the clamav user as it is...

The whole reason for a clamav user is strictly for UNIX security
purposes.  Basically, you don't want a process to run with root
privileges unless absolutely necessary.  Also along the lines of UNIX
security, a proper implementation should NEVER allow the clamav user to
login i.e. there should be no valid password associated with the clamav
user.  I would assume the people at apple understand this and made it
so.  I'm not going to worry about this...

Aaron

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>