[OS X TeX] Man and info pages in gwTeX

Bernhard Barkow bb at creativeeyes.at
Sun May 8 18:58:30 CEST 2005

On 8. Mai 2005, at 17:55, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>>> ISTR that you are no longer supposed to set MANPATH directly, as
>>> the system handles this for you by searching next to bin
>>> directories (e.g. if your PATH has /usr/local/bin, it will
>>> search /usr/local/man automatically).  See the manual pages for
>>> manpath or man(1).  I find that even though the manpath command
>>> reports /usr/local/teTeX/man as part of the search path, I don't
>>> get any teTeX man pages unless I add /usr/local/teTeX/bin to
>>> PATH.  Is this a Tiger-only problem?
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> that's no solution for you, but just FYI: my path contains only /
>> usr/local/teTeX, not /usr/local/teTeX/bin, manpath also reports /
>> usr/local/teTeX/man - but man finds the correct man page files.
>>

> My path (before I added /usr/local/teTeX/bin) contains /usr/local/
> teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current, which might mess up the
> manpath?  I'm not sure what heuristic it uses to search alongside
> bin directories.

Hi,

I don't know either how the path is searched, but that's how my $PATH
looks:
% echo $PATH
/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/
local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/usr/local/share/
ghostscript:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/usr/local/teTeX:.

As far as I remember, I had to include /usr/local/teTeX manually -
but now that I think about it, the reason seems obvious: if you only
have
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
in your path, the system probably searches
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/man
or something similar, since
/usr/local/teTeX/bin
is actually not included in
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current .
If I get it right, adding /usr/local/teTeX should make /usr/local/
teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current redundant.
Conclusion: should /usr/local/teTeX be added to $PATH by i-Installer
instead of (or in addition to) /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-
darwin-current ?

What I notice apart from that is that in my case /usr/local/bin is
included twice, I assume that since Tiger it is included by the
system, but some other installer adds it to csh.login again.

>> Stupid question: are your man pages in the correct loacation
>> (e.g., /usr/local/teTeX/man/man1/latex.1)?
>>

> Yes, and since I added /usr/local/teTeX/bin I can read them as well.

Just one of these "make sure the power-cord is plugged in"-Q&As :-)

Bernhard
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>