[OS X TeX] Re: OS X TeX] TeX and Illustrator Fonts -- CMR Works and Lucida doesn't

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sat May 7 11:26:37 CEST 2005

On May 6, 2005, at 4:24 AM, Gordon Sick wrote:

> Outlining the fonts is sort of OK. I don't need to edit the result
> (I want to be able to label diagrams, and want LateX to build the
> labels). By outlining, I assume that they won't render on screen as
> nicely, because they lose their hinting. But, I would expect it all
> to print fine, so this is worth pursuing.
>

>> If it is the latter, you can remove the
>> fonts (and replace them by their outlines) and include the result in
>> Illustrator. The following call to GhostScript should do the trick:
>>
>> gs -dNOPAUSE -dNOCACHE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
>>          -sOutputFile=your-output-file.pdf \
>>          your-source-file.pdf
>>
>> The -dNOCACHE should remove all fonts, and simply draw the outlines
>> instead. There is no (easy) way to edit the resulting text, but at
>> the very least you can include the result in Illustrator.
>>
> I tried this. I assume that the backslashes are escapes to new
> lines, as when I copy such lines from the terminal, the Terminal
> spreads them out on one line.

Indeed, backslashes are continuation marks. In the part I snipped
below, you say that it doesn't work for you. Try changing the device:

gs -dNOPAUSE -dNOCACHE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=epswrite \
          -sOutputFile=your-output-file.eps \
          your-source-file.pdf

now the command will produce an eps file, and (i've just checked,
with the same version of gs you use) that the result no longer
includes any fonts. Illustrator will be able to read eps, or you
could use pstopdf to produce a pdf-file again. The version of gs is
important, some versions between 8.1x and 8.5 had bugs that prevented
this use. It is officially considered a debugging feature, but comes
in very handy in these cases. I once figured out with an Elsevier
editor that this is the only practical way to submit figures
generated from metapost.

> It is amazing that the platform that is #1 for graphics (Mac OS X)
> and the premiere vector drawing program (Illustrator) and the
> premiere typesetting engine (LaTeX) are all incompatible in this way.
>
> It is particularly frustrating that this works for CMR, but not for
> the Lucida.

Blame Adobe for not supporting some odd font encodings. their
standards allow it, so why not (completely) support it?

Maarten
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>