[OS X TeX] OT: effective Macintosh Trojan in the wild

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Fri May 6 15:12:47 CEST 2005

On May 6, 2005, at 5:08 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 6 mai 05 à 10:47, Bernhard Barkow a écrit :
>
>> OK, maybe this can help: I spent some time yesterday trying to modify
>> an AppleScript (sent to me by Maarten Sneep, thanks a lot!) in order
>> to use it with Clam AV for on-demand scanning of emails. It's a very
>> simple solution, but in my opinion quite reasonable for use on Macs.
>> It is still experimental, and there is no great documentation coming
>> with it, but if you want to give it a try, look at
>> http://www.creativeeyes.at/tools/clamav.php
>
> Thanks, I'll have a look at it. The ClamAV site points to a Mac OS X
> Server page, indicating that Server 10.4 includes now SpamAssassin for
> antispam, and ClamAV for antivirus, at the mail server level
> <http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/mailservices.html>. Seems
> like an indication that ClamAV works well with OS X.

Well, clamav works with all UNIX like operating systems.  I have it set
up on my office mail server as a sendmail milter.   In the last few
months it has stopped 760 messages containing 79 different viruses from
reaching my 20 users.

Spamassassin also works well on any system really, since it is written
in perl.  However, since it is written in perl it is a tremendous
resource hog.

The more proper solution would be to make sure that spam and viruses
never reach your computer in the first place, so a solution like
greylisting is ideal see http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/ for
more info.  I don't know how things are set up for you, but these tools
generally work best at the mail server level, but I imagine that clamav
could be run to look at files you download.

Aaron

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>