[OS X TeX] OT: effective Macintosh Trojan in the wild

Martin Wehlou osxtex at wehlou.com
Thu May 5 14:26:25 CEST 2005

Claus,

> I noticed these attempts too. From the ip addresses I can tell that
> they are from my internet provider. If they are legitimate or not and
> don't know, but the connection isn't affected by my stealth settings.

When I lived in Belgium, the internet provider there (Telenet)
prohibited users from running servers of any kind. They verified
compliance by regularly portscanning us subscribers that way. Causing my
BlackICE alarms to go off all the time. I don't know if that is what
you're seeing, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Since you could run HTTP, SMTP and other servers on any old port number,
they would have to scan all over the port map. Check with your ISP if
they have this in their policy, and if so, simply ignore it.

--
Dr. J. Martin Wehlou MD, CISSP
www.wehlou.com