[OS X TeX] Typesetting info for TeXShop 2.01 documents

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed May 4 22:46:20 CEST 2005

On 5/4/05 2:45 PM, "Stefan Walsen" <stefan at walsen.net> wrote:

> Herb Schulz wrote:
>> Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>> [Stuff about encoding troubles]
>>
>> I've managed to do this in one of my XeLaTeX files and now don't know
>> how to get the it back!
>
> You might find this little tool handy:
>
> http://www.nebulous.org/handy/text_recoder.html
>
> With Text Recoder, you can browse through different encodings for a file
> and see which one comes out correctly, then save the file in an encoding
> of your choice.
>
> I don't know whether it works on Tiger (as I didn't have the chance to
> upgrade yet), and neither does the author (or at least he doesn't tell).
> It does work on 10.3.9, though, and I can't imagine a reason for it not
> to work on Tiger.
>
> HTH,
> Stefan

Howdy,

The author only says it works in 10.2.x but it seems to work in 10.3.9
except it crashed when I tried out UTF-16 on a file.

Unfortunately it appears that the UTF-8 file was read in as MacRoman
encoding and, after changes, was written out as MacRoman encoding to so I
can't seem to retrieve the original; i.e., the file looked wrong in Mac
encoding AND UTF-8. Like I said, no big deal; as a matter of fact I found
the original source and did the change carefully - after setting the TeXShop
option to allow the old-style command. I know I shouldn't use the old-style
commands and I've managed to get all my others over fine. I know that I
probably missed a few but I don't have too many Xe(La)TeX files and all my
others are MacRoman using only standard ASCII. I think I only have one file
that uses \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc} because I needed a bullet
character in verbatim and that was the easiest way to get it at the time.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>