[OS X TeX] Typesetting info for TeXShop 2.01 documents

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed May 4 16:24:34 CEST 2005

Le 4 mai 05 à 14:58, Herb Schulz a écrit :

> I've managed to do this in one of my XeLaTeX files and now don't
> know how to
> get the it back!
>
> Luckily it's not important and goes back to when XeLaTeX first came
> out.

Hi Herb,

Fortunately I had done these tests on a copy of the original file,
thus nothing was lost. As to how to get your modified file to its
original state, I don't know. Probably manual searching and replacing
would be the most efficient way, provided the file isn't too long and
doesn't include too many non-ASCII characters. I've tried to use
Cyclone to convert files from one encoding to the other, but it seems
to no longer work on Tiger, or I can no longer figure out how it
works. I've tried to use BBEdit 7 as well, but either it's too old
and BBEdit 8 is required with Tiger, or I also can no longer figure
out how it works; in any case, I didn't manage to get it to convert
encodings successfully.

> I did notice that there had to be a space on each side of the `='
> in the
> line and meant to bring that up as a possible bug. Didn't think it
> could
> have this permanent effect on a file.

I think it's only important for specifying the program. I didn't
observe the same effect with the encoding line, but I didn't try all
possibilities.

> If I set the default input format to UTF-8 in TeXShop but only use the
> standard ASCII set and standard LaTeX commands for accented
> characters as
> pdflatex input will pdflatex be able to compile it; i.e., is the
> plain ASCII
> set the same in Mac and UTF-8 encoding? What about using your French
> keyboard and entering the extended set of charcters; does it need
> an input
> encoding?

The encoding shouldn't matter if you only use ASCII characters: all
encodings share the same ASCII foundation (with TeX, though, giving
special meaning to the first 30 or so characters oof the ASCII table,
normally reserved by the OS for characters such as EOL, LF etc., but
that shouldn't matter here). And yes, the encoding in TeXShop
influences the way the non-ASCII characters -- like é à ç ù è --
entered on my French keyboard are stored in the TeX input file on
disk; that's about it in XeTeX, provided UTF-8 encoding is used,
whereas in standard TeX I also need to use the inputenc package with
appropriate option, eg for Mac OS Roman encoding in TeXShop:

     \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>