[OS X TeX] Typesetting info for TeXShop 2.01 documents

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed May 4 14:58:48 CEST 2005

On 5/4/05 5:33 AM, "Bruno Voisin" <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:

> Le 4 mai 05 à 01:16, Bruno Voisin a écrit :
>
>> The syntax for the typesetting infos at the beginning of TeXShop
>> document has changed. However, the instructions at <http://
>> www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/changes.html> or in the included file
>> IMPORTANT_README are partly erroneous, in that,  for XeLaTeX, the
>> original syntax:
>>
>>     %&program=xelatex
>>     %&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode
>>
>> becomes:
>>
>>     %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
>>     %!TEX encoding = UTF-8Unicode
>>
>> Specifically:
>>
>> - The space before the "=" in the first line is mandatory
>> (otherwise the default pdfeTeX is used). The instructions include
>> this, but the mandatory character of the space isn't mentioned.
>>
>> - There is no space between UTF-8 and Unicode on the second line
>> (otherwise the input encoding is considered to be TeXShop's
>> default; generally MacOS Roman). The instructions include one.
>
> Regarding the second remark, it turns out I was wrong. I don't
> understand fully what happened, but it seems to be connected with
> TeXShop no longer recognizing by default the older syntax:
>
>    %&program=xelatex
>    %&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode
>
> I took a former XeLaTeX file of mine, in UTF-8 encoding and using
> that syntax, and opened it in TeXShop, with MacOS Roman encoding as
> the default (for these occasions when I'm not using XeTeX). Then I
> replaced the above two lines by the new syntax:
>
>    %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
>    %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
>
> and saved then typeset the file. However, because the modification
> had taken place in a TeXShop not recognizing the former syntax, the
> file has not been recognized as UTF-8 endoded upon opening, but as
> MacOS Roman encoded, and finally not saved in the proper (UTF-8)
> encoding.
>
> When opened afterwards, because of the correct new syntax, the file
> was identified as UTF-8 encoded, which its wasn't; hence the improper
> XeLaTeX output, with esoteric (square root etc.) symbols where
> accented letters should have been. If, on the other hand, the second
> line "UTF-8 Unicode" was replaced by "UTF-8Unicode", as I did later,
> then the file was not interpreted as UTF-8 input and yielded (oddly
> enough) correct XeLaTeX output.
>
> Two more things I tried:
>
> - Taking the original file and modifying it this time in TextEdit
> which is (in its default settings) encoding-agnostic. Then opening
> the file in TeXShop and XeLaTeXing it yields correct output.
>
> - Using the instructions at <http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/
> changes.html> to get TeXShop recognize the former syntax in addition
> to the new one:
>
>    defaults write TeXShop UseOldHeadingCommands YES
>
> Then the file can be modified and compiled in TeXShop, yielding
> correct output.
>
> In summary I think that, for the sake of compatibility, it would be
> [...]

Howdy,

I've managed to do this in one of my XeLaTeX files and now don't know how to
get the it back!

Luckily it's not important and goes back to when XeLaTeX first came out.

I did notice that there had to be a space on each side of the `=' in the
line and meant to bring that up as a possible bug. Didn't think it could
have this permanent effect on a file.

If I set the default input format to UTF-8 in TeXShop but only use the
standard ASCII set and standard LaTeX commands for accented characters as
pdflatex input will pdflatex be able to compile it; i.e., is the plain ASCII
set the same in Mac and UTF-8 encoding? What about using your French
keyboard and entering the extended set of charcters; does it need an input
encoding?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>