[OS X TeX] Spotlight importers

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue May 3 09:57:29 CEST 2005

Le 3 mai 05 à 04:04, Adam R. Maxwell a écrit :

> I wrote a couple of Spotlight importers that people may find
> useful.  BibImporter (for BibTeX files), and DVIImporter (reads
> text of DVI files).  In my testing, they work fine, but let me know
> of any problems (crashes or memory leaks).  Source is available on
> request; DVIImporter has dvi2tty from gwTeX bundled with it.
>
> The importers are available at <http://homepage.mac.com/amaxwell/>,
> and can be installed in ~/Library/Spotlight or /Library/Spotlight.
> You can force Spotlight to index your teTeX tree with `mdimport -f /
> usr/local/teTeX` in Terminal, and the DVI importer should give you
> access to the contents of the DVI documentation files from
> Spotlight, while Apple's importers will index the others.
>
> If you read the bibdesk-users list and installed a previous version
> of my BibImporter plugin, please reinstall from the above URL.

Seems very useful, and brings more general questions about SpotLight
which I couldn't find addressed in either OS X help or at Apple's
more technical page <http://developer.apple.com/macosx/spotlight.html>:

- Is there an interface anywhere in Tiger to define when the
SpotLight database is built, and to know when it's being built? I
seem to remember seeing a dialog, immediately after installing Tiger,
telling the SpotLight database was built every 30 minutes, but I
can't find now where this is defined. Also, very often since
installing Tiger I hear the fans of my PowerBook spinning and
spinning and spinning, with no apparent reason, but can't see
anything happening in either Activity Monitor or with "top" in
Terminal. I imagine this is caused by SpotLight rebuilding its database.

- Aren't hidden directories like /usr/local/teTeX searched
automatically when building the SpotLight database?

- Given the files in this directory are generally owned by root
(depending on whether or not you stuck to the default setting when
installing the TeX i-Package), should mdimport be sudo'ed?

And getting OT, for those that might be interested:

- I just noticed this morning on MacNN that Wolfram Research has
already released a SpotLight module for Mathematica notebooks <http://
library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Utilities/5614>. I just hope it works
with Mathematica 4!

- There's also a SpotLight module for NeoOffice <http://
neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoLight> (the Java-based OS X
port of Openoffice.org), but it seems so early in its development and
the instructions for installing it seem so complicated that I'll wait
until it matures.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>