[OS X TeX] Beginner questions

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Wed Mar 30 02:18:41 CEST 2005

Hello Marek,

On Mar 29, 2005, at 4:00 PM, Marek Stepanek wrote:

<snip>

> 1. I am dreaming of a sort of SGML-Syntax list, with all possible
> commands
> and variants under a special document class. Perhaps there is such a
> beast
> out there ?

Assuming you are interested in LaTeX, here is an annotated list of
commands:

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/latex/

A mirror closer to you is:

http://www-ti.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~frech/latex/

> 2. Or is there a list at least with all "primitives" ? For example like
> \textbf{bold text} or \texttt{typewritertext} , wich are working under
> all
> document classes ? Such a list would be very helpful for a beginner.

The above link may be what you want.

As far as I know, all primitives  are in TeX, not LaTeX. You can find
these in The TeXbook by Donald Knuth.

> 3. I am concretely looking for something like a screenplay or film
> script -
> document class. Is there such a document class and if yes, how to look
> for
> it on www.ctan.org ? There are no search results for "film" "Screen
> Play" or

Unless you know what you are seeking, ctan is a mystery.

Usually, searching ctan using google like this:

screenplay site:ctan.org

returns something. :)

For your screenplay, the google search returned three entries.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=screenplay+site:
ctan.org&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

<snip>

> 5. Concretely : could a good soul be so kind here, and give me a hint
> how to
> insert in this document class of scrlttr2 a dialog with more margin,
> and
>
>         1. Person (bold perhaps centered)
>
>     speaking speaking (perhaps in an other type, perhaps cursive)
>
>         2. Person (bold perhaps centered)
>
>     speaking speaking (perhaps in an other type, perhaps cursive)

I use this for controlling the left and right indent:

{\leftskip=.08\linewidth \rightskip=.08\linewidth Some words go here.
\par }

The measurement could be points, cm, or whatever. I use linewidth so
the width scales when switching between letter and A4 paper.

I don't use this enough to make a LaTeX newcommand, In fact, I don't
know how to. But it works in LaTeX just fine. It takes a lot of typing
if you use it much. Maybe someone here can show you how to make it into
a LaTeX newcommand.

BTW, \leftskip and \rightskip are both TeX primitives.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>