[OS X TeX] Japanese XeTeX examples

Kino quinon at rio.odn.ne.jp
Sun Mar 27 07:41:58 CEST 2005

On 26 Mar 2005, at 22:34, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 23 Mar 2005, at 3:23 PM, Kino wrote:

>> This is a table of standard glyph <=> expt/nlck.

I forgot to explain: what I call "standard glyph" is character shape
defined in JIS X 0208:1997.

> Some questions:
> In the tags examples document, it seems like the command \ajTsumesuji*
> automatically selects smaller width numbers in order to fit them into
> a single glyph-width. Is this correct?

You are quite right. Please download
     <http://psitau.at.infoseek.co.jp/otfcurrent.zip>
and look at otfcurrent/sty/ajmacros.sty (encoded in ISO-2022-JP)

> I probably wouldn't provide a similar command in fontspec, but I could
> offer an example.

In my understanding, those glyphs are used mainly as note reference
number and year in Arabic numerals arranged in horizontal direction in
vertical texts, for example, in a chronological table. In ordinary
vertical writings, we use Chinese numerals -- rarely Arabic numerals --
to indicate year.

> Also, have you managed to do vertical typesetting in XeTeX?

Oh, sorry. I have not managed to get work XeTeX with my Japanese LaTeX
installation but...

> Or are the OpenType features that support vertical typesetting not
> compatible with how XeTeX would have to perform this (that is, typeset
> right-to-left and rotate)?

In Japanese writing system, CJK characters are not rotated. For
characters of some kinds, special glyphs are used in vertical writing.
Here is a conversion table of those characters.
<http://quinon.com/files/ptex/aj16_h2v.pdf>
<http://quinon.com/files/ptex/aj16_h2v-tex.zip> (source in ASCII)

The files above are based on the OpenType feature table of
KozMinProVI-Regular.otf:
<http://quinon.com/files/ptex/KozMinProVI-Regular-fea.zip>

It will be installed by AdobeReader 7.0 as '/Applications/Adobe Reader
7.0/Adobe Reader
7.0.app/Contents/MacOS/Resource/CIDFont/KozMinProVI-Regular.otf' when
you open a Japanese pdf with no Japanese font embedded.

Actually this font seems to be the only font supporting Adobe-Japan1-6
character set and I hope Apple will update Hiragino font family with
Tiger.

Kino

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>