[OS X TeX] Japanese XeTeX examples

suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp
Wed Mar 23 04:52:33 CET 2005

>> Taking the first sentence of the Japanese section in CJKsample.tex,
>> for instance, we have (if I've identified the characters properly):
>>
>> This includes Katakana (used for the word "Unicode", because it's a
>> borrowing), Kanji, and Hiragana, all in the same text. That's normal,
>> as far as I understand.
>
> It is normal in modern Japanese, but classical Japanese for example
> uses only Kanji (with katakana annotations): Kanbun, and as mentioned
> above some text for children can be in hiragana only.

Kanbun also includes special marks that indicate the reading order. The
annotations I mention above are to help reading by providing Japanese
grammatical support to a text that originally is written in  Chinese.

And I forgot to mention that in some cases you have alphabet words
included in some scientific works, computer manuals etc, probably more
relevant to TeX in general than children books and Kanbun texts but one
has to be prepared for everything :)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>