[OS X TeX] kerning and TFM problems

Steffen Wolfrum osxtex at st.estfiles.de
Mon Mar 21 17:55:53 CET 2005

Hi,

I want to use OSX HelveticaNeue font.

So I open it in FontForge and - because I'd like to use the kerning
information - generate the Font with its PFB, AFM and TFM files.

According to Bill's help page it should work by (renaming and)
placing the phnr8r.tfm in its tfm folder, the phnr8a.afm and
phnr8a.pfb in its respective folders (within my texfm-font tree).

Then I need a mapfile texnansi-helveticaneue.map with the line:

phnr8r HelveticaNeue 4 < phnr8a.pfb texnansi.enc

And my test file looks like this (ConTeXt):

\loadmapfile[texnansi-adobe-helveticaneue.map]

\definefontsynonym[HelveticaNeue][phnr8r][encoding=texnansi]
\definefont[MySecondFont][HelveticaNeue]
\starttext
\MySecondFont I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold
there grew.
\stoptext

But it results in problems with the TFM file. Why?

! Font \**MySecondFont**=phnr8r at 12.0pt not loadable: Bad metric (TFM) file.
<to be read again>
                    \relax
\dododefinefont ...ontspec {#2}\rawfontidentifier
                                                   \let \localrelativefontsiz...

\redodefinefont #1#2#3->\dododefinefont {#1}{#2}
                                                 \doifsetupselse {#3} {\setup...
l.7 \MySecondFont
                   I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold th...

?

Steffen
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>