[OS X TeX] Question: adjusting spacing in the enumerate environment

Charles Doherty charles.doherty at ntlworld.ie
Sun Mar 20 12:28:52 CET 2005

On 20 Mar 2005, at 04:16, Richard Seguin wrote:

> I'm using this technique to adjust the item spacing in the enumerate
> environment within the article class:
>
> \newcommand{\tighten}{\addtolength{\itemsep}{-9pt}}
> \begin{enumerate}\tighten
> \end{enumerate}
>
> No matter what I've tried though, I haven't been able to shrink the
> space between the top list element and what precedes it so that it
> looks like the enumerate environment in the amsart class. In the
> amsart class, that spacing is identical to the spacing between the
> list items.
>
> Has anyone else been able to do this successfully, and how did you do
> it? Furthermore, is it better to approach this matter using a
> renewenvironment?
>
> Richard Séguin

Dear Richard,

I use ConTeXt now but I remember being through this at one time. I just
messed with it to see what would happen. Does the file below help? I
have never used the amsart class so I am not really sure what you are
looking for.  I looked at pp 166-7 of the LaTeX manual.

Charlie Doherty

%\newcommand{\tighten}{\addtolength{\itemsep}{-9pt}}

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\begin{document}

And below is an enumerated list.
\begin{enumerate}\renewcommand{\parskip}{18pt}
\item 1
\item 1
\item 1
\item 1
\item 1
\item 1
\end{enumerate}

\par

\begin{enumerate}\renewcommand{\itemsep}{-9pt}
\item 1
\item 1
\item 1
\item 1