[OS X TeX] Question: adjusting spacing in the enumerate environment

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 20 05:16:01 CET 2005

I'm using this technique to adjust the item spacing in the enumerate
environment within the article class:

\newcommand{\tighten}{\addtolength{\itemsep}{-9pt}}

\begin{enumerate}\tighten

\end{enumerate}

No matter what I've tried though, I haven't been able to shrink the
space between the top list element and what precedes it so that it
looks like the enumerate environment in the amsart class. In the amsart
class, that spacing is identical to the spacing between the list items.

Has anyone else been able to do this successfully, and how did you do
it? Furthermore, is it better to approach this matter using a
renewenvironment?

Richard Séguin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>