[OS X TeX] lost in font-land

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Mar 16 10:16:47 CET 2005

Le 16 mars 05, à 07:41, Jeff Genung a écrit :

> I am attempting to try setting a document in a font other than CM, and
> see
> on the gwTeX installation that I can do the following to use the latin
> modern font that is apparently installed as part of gwTeX
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{lmodern}
>
> I don't see any changes when I do this? so it obviously is not using
> the
> latin modern fonts... is there something else I need to do here?

No, Latin Modern fonts are essentially an 8-bit PostScript version of
Computer Modern, with (very) slightly bolder characters such that the
output looks better on screen, and with accented letters included as
single characters making it better suited for European languages. Thus
you're not expected to see any striking change.

> I have
> attempted to read Bruno Voisin's Installing fonts for LaTeX on OS X
> but I am
> definitely lost. I would also like to be able to use a couple of Type 1
> Adobe fonts that I have but the instructions are real gobbldygook.
>
> If you have never seen the Chicken file, I urge you to read:
>
> http://isotropic.org/uw/papers/chicken.pdf
>
> It's a latex-pdf file that is really easier to understand than some of
> the
> manuals I have.
>
> Is there somewhere a basic do this then do this then do this
> instruction set
> for using a type 1 font?

In case (i) you're not writing much maths and (ii) you're not relying
on LaTeX packages, like pstricks, based on dvips- or pdfTeX-specific
functionalities, then you may find what you're looking for with XeTeX
<http://scripts.sil.org/xetex/> which allows transparent use of OS X
fonts in TeX. For LaTeX compatibility, don't forget to also download
and install the additional packages xunicode.sty and fontspec.sty from
<http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?
site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex_related>; and, if you're using the Adobe
Type Classics library, the support files adobetypeclassics.zip.

> The links to http://www.yandy.com/ don't seem to be working (unless
> you are
> buying things other than fonts!!) and I am sure everyone has had fun
> searching the web for sites on "Latex"

Yes, the company called it quit and the previous owner sold the site
without knowing exactly which products the new buyer was making. An
archive of the former site has been preserved by TUG
<http://www.tug.org/yandy/>. Look there for information on the future
availability of former Y&Y products.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>