[OS X TeX] lost in font-land

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Wed Mar 16 08:38:49 CET 2005

On Mar 16, 2005, at 1:41 AM, Jeff Genung wrote:

> I am attempting to try setting a document in a font other than CM, and
> see
> on the gwTeX installation that I can do the following to use the latin
> modern font that is apparently installed as part of gwTeX
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{lmodern}

That's all I have to do to get it to work.  If you look at the document
in acrobat and do a command-d you'll get the font info.  What does that
say?  Also, what do the last few lines of the console say (the ones
with a lot of pfb files listed)?

> I don't see any changes when I do this? so it obviously is not using
> the
> latin modern fonts... is there something else I need to do here? I have
> attempted to read Bruno Voisin's Installing fonts for LaTeX on OS X
> but I am
> definitely lost. I would also like to be able to use a couple of Type 1
> Adobe fonts that I have but the instructions are real gobbldygook.

At some point you just have to jump in.  What fonts are you trying to
use?  There might already be support files installed so you may only
need to copy the pfb files into your ~/Library/texmf folder (in the
appropriate tex directory structure sub folders of course).

> If you have never seen the Chicken file, I urge you to read:
>
> http://isotropic.org/uw/papers/chicken.pdf

Looks nice.

> It's a latex-pdf file that is really easier to understand than some of
> the
> manuals I have.
>
> Is there somewhere a basic do this then do this then do this
> instruction set
> for using a type 1 font?
>
> The links to http://www.yandy.com/ don't seem to be working (unless
> you are
> buying things other than fonts!!) and I am sure everyone has had fun
> searching the web for sites on "Latex"

Y and Y are out of business.  No help there.

Aaron

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>