[OS X TeX] PrettyRef

Sergei Mariev serguei.mariev at campus.lmu.de
Thu Mar 10 21:07:29 CET 2005

I think I know the problem. I am working on a critical edition where
I use hundreds (if not thousands) crossreferences. Thinking up a new
lable is quite hard, and it is even harder to remember if you have
already used the label or not, to avoid multiple labels. What I did
in my dissertation was to write a perl script which generates random
labels. Every time it generates a new label, it appends it to file.
Every time it generates a lable itfirst  looks into the file to see
if this number has been in use. Then I wrote a macro in the TexShop
which asks the perl script to generate a label and pastes it at the
current cursor position. This way I can generate a new label without
thinking much about it and I know that this lablel is unique. Is this
something you are looking for?

Regards,

sergei mariev

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>