[OS X TeX] PrettyRef

John Peterson john.peterson20 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 10 13:44:38 CET 2005

Alain,

I think that Herb was suggesting something like the following.

\documentclass[11pt]{book}
        \usepackage{prettyref}
        \begin{document}
        \chapter{Addition}\label{Chap:Addition}
A little bit of text
        \section{Addition of Whole Numbers}\label{Sec:AddWholeNos}
A whole lot of text
        \section{Addition of Decimals}\label{Sec:AddDecimals}
A whole lot of text
        \section{Addition of  Fractions}\label{Sec:AddFractions}
A whole lot of text
        \chapter{Subtraction}\label{Chap:Subtraction}
Some words
        \section{Subtraction of Whole
Numbers}\label{Sec:SubtractWholeNos}
A whole lot of text
        \section{Subtraction of Decimals}\label{Sec:SubtractDecimals}
A whole lot of text
        \section{Subtraction of  Fractions}\label{Sec:SubtractFractions}
A whole lot of text, see \prettyref{Sec:SubtractDecimals}, more text
see \prettyref{Sec:AddDecimals}, even more text see
\prettyref{Sec:AddFractions}.
\end{document}

You will still have to remember what label you gave a chapter or
section, but this is easier than using \label{Add1},  \label{Add2},
\label{Add3}, etc.  This way, if you decide to reorder the sections,
say switch  \section{Addition of Decimals} and \section{Addition of
Decimals} the labels are still "logical" rather than becoming
numerically messed up, as in \label{Add1},  \label{Add3},
\label{Add2}.

John

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>