[OS X TeX] TeXShop questions

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at cox.net
Sat Mar 5 22:12:12 CET 2005

On Mar 5, 2005, at 3:38 PM, <rbmjk at alltel.net> wrote:

> I am new to TeX on the MAC, but am an experienced TeX user.
> I recently installed TeXShop, using i-Installer, on my new MAC iBook.
> I then put my old TeX files in to Documents, and tried TeXing a file.
> One of my first lines is, as usual,
>
>         \input kellogg/tex/macros

Try this:

		\input ./kellogg/tex/macros

if you are in the directory that contains the TeX file and the
directory you macro file is in, or specify the path explicitly:

		\input /Users/billybob/Documents/kellog/tex/macros

> 2. Must I really put all my various folders of TeX files as a
> subdirectory
> of Library/texmf? I will, if necessary, but it seems more logical to
> me to leave them in Documents.

You don't have to, but that is where TeX will look for them so that you
don't have to do something like this for all your inputs:

		\input /Users/billybob/Documents/kellog/tex/macros

> 3. This is unrelated, but when I preview, with the pdf file that is
> produced,
> I do not get the whole page at one shot, but rather am image that
> must be scrolled up and down. My previous linux distribution was better
> in that regard!

Go to the TeXShop menu>Preferences>Preview. Look for "Preview Window
Magnification" and set that to something like 80 (don't forget to click
on the "Set" button or nothing will happen).

> 4. Yet another unrelated TeX question, just to get things off my chest:
> The editor suffers from the MAC limitation of a 1 button mouse, instead
> of the convenient 3 button mouse that is so convenient for cutting
> and pasting. Any suggestion of a remedy?

I can't be of much help on this except to say that from what little
experience I have had with them, most multi-button mice have software
that allows them to be configured as you describe even for the Mac.

Cheers.

Stephen Moye

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>