[OS X TeX] iinstaller packages are not documents

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Mar 5 09:30:08 CET 2005

On 4 Mar 2005, at 19:23, Joachim Kock wrote:

> Hello Gerben and iInstaller users,
>
> Just one quirk in the iInstaller: the default download location is
> ~/Documents.  I am happy that there is now an option for changing
> this location, but I think the choice of default is really bad.  The
> Documents folder is for your personal documents, where you
> put the files you have produced yourself through hard work, the files
> that are most precious and that you cannot just download from twenty
> different mirrors around the world, and for this reason also the
> files you back up most frequently.  It is really not the place for
> 10 or 50 Mb of installers -- in a sense these left-over installers
> are just junk, because most likely you will not need them again; at
> most it can be considered a backup of the installation, but there are
> certainly better places for backup-like heavyweight like these.
> The appropriate place would be either on the Desktop (which is the
> typical download folder), where you will quickly notice it and file
> it where you want, or trash it if you want.  Or otherwise perhaps in
> the Application Support folder.

Having those large documents in ~/Documents is also not my favourite,
but currently it is the best of a couple of bad choices for me.

The version you use also keeps track of some of your choices, hence it
is *your* document with partly *your* settings. If you use expert
install you'll see that if you install a second time the selection of
parts will be the same as last time.

Secondly, you can set the preferences to auto-thin after install. The
actual size of the packages will be small after that.

Thirdly, there is a use for backups of the large documents. TeX is
often a critical part of people's work (PhD thesis anyone?) and TeX
might change. Older i-Packages are not kept around in the repositories
so if you want to be certain, you need to keep the old package in your
backup.

The combination of personal settings and the option of auto-thin and
the possible use for a fat backup for me makes it possible to have them
in ~/Documents. For people who want otherwise, there is a simple way of
moving it.

Historically, there was a short while that the default location was
~/Library/Caches/i-Installer/i-Packages but that changed because the
i-Package is *not* a cache. It is a working entity in its own right
that keeps working (if all elements for that action have been
downloaded in the past) when the remote package is gone. It is one of
the design features of i-Installer that it must be as robust as
possible wrt me having an accident. If you have a fattened package and
your i-installer app, it will remain working whatever happens in the
outside world. That means it is not a cache. Hence, the i-Packages are
not *application files* but *documents* (they are also part of the
Cocoa NSDocument hierarchy design-wise and end up in recent documents
in the i-Package menu etc).

Finally, i-Package may not install anything. i-Installer is a generic
tool and I can have (and have had in the past) i-Packages that only
configure things.

I think I have answered some of the remarks in this thread, I'll see
where the discussion goes.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>