[OS X TeX] iinstaller packages are not documents

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Mar 5 02:58:59 CET 2005

On Mar 4, 2005, at 14:30, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 4 mars 05, à 22:10, Joachim Kock a écrit :
>
>> Aha.  Then it is more appropriate to think of these packages as
>> caches
>> or support files instead of regarding them as pure download.  In
>> which
>> case I would suggest  ~/Library/Application\ Support/i-Installer
>
> Or ~/Library/i-Packages. Think about ~/Library/Receipts,
> ~/Library/iMovie, ~/Library/iTunes, ~/Library/Mail,
> ~/Library/QuickTime, ~/Library/Safari, ~/Library/Mozilla,
> ~/Library/Thunderbird, etc. But of course there are counter-examples:
> ~/Library/Application Support/AdressBook, ~/Library/Application
> Support/Camino, ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox,
> ~/Library/Application Support/iCal, ~/Library/Application
> Support/Nvu, ~/Library/Application Support/Sunbird, etc. Hard to see
> any deterministic logical pattern to it!

It may be hard to see a pattern, but there are guidelines for what is
appropriate; applications are not supposed to put files in ~/Documents,
for instance.  See "Where to put application files" from
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
BPFileSystem/index.html> for details.

Adam

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>