[OS X TeX] iinstaller packages are not documents

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 4 20:50:32 CET 2005

On 4 mrt 2005, at 20:32, Joachim Kock wrote:

> We are talking software design, not trying to help a beginner.

Well, another distinguished user on this list recently admitted that he
never thought to change the location. I figured he might not be alone ;)

>> I agree that ~/Documents is not the most pleasant of choices,
>> especially
>> in light of making backups -- mail is stored in ~/Library as well,
>> you do
>> want a backup) but honestly I do not know a better solution
>
> Why not ~/Desktop ?  This is a very common and popular place to put
> downloads used by most application.

Because i-packages are more than just downloads, especially the TeX
package: keeping it in a location where i-Installer can find it will
save
a lot of download bandwidth and time if you keep the old one (programs
update, but texmf stays the same, a rather common occurrence - having
the old one available will save you a download of about 40 MB IIRC).

The best solution might be to ask the user if this particular preference
hasn't been set, I doubt that there is a preference that will please
everyone.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>