[OS X TeX] Larger fonts in article.cls

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Mar 4 18:03:11 CET 2005

Le 4 mars 05, à 17:06, Frederick Hoyt a écrit :

> I have a document using the article document class which I am trying
> to reformat as a handout. I would like to use a larger base font size
> (say, 14pt). This is not usually available in the article class, as
> far as I know.
>
> I have tried using the memoir class, but it conflicts with one of the
> packages which I use heavily (qtree.sty).
>
> Is there a way to use fonts larger than 12pt in article.cls?

There is a way, but more in the manner of a long and winding road ;-)

It involves, say, copying

	/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/article.cls
	/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/size12.clo

to ~/texmf/tex/latex/base/, renaming size12.clo to size14.clo, then
adding to article.cls the line

	\DeclareOption{14pt}{\renewcommand\@ptsize{4}}

and finally modifying the whole content of size14.clo to correspond to
14pt base size. For example,

	renewcommand\normalsize{%
	   \@setfontsize\normalsize\@xiipt{14.5}%
	   \abovedisplayskip 12\p@ \@plus3\p@ \@minus7\p@
	   \abovedisplayshortskip \z@ \@plus3\p@
	   \belowdisplayshortskip 6.5\p@ \@plus3.5\p@ \@minus3\p@
	   \belowdisplayskip \abovedisplayskip
	   \let\@listi\@listI}

could become

	renewcommand\normalsize{%
	   \@setfontsize\normalsize\@xivpt{18}%
	   \abovedisplayskip 14\p@ \@plus3\p@ \@minus8\p@
	   \abovedisplayshortskip \z@ \@plus3\p@
	   \belowdisplayshortskip 7\p@ \@plus4\p@ \@minus3\p@
	   \belowdisplayskip \abovedisplayskip
	   \let\@listi\@listI}

and all the rest of this file should be modified accordingly. That's
indeed a lot of work, which would require some knowledge (which I don't
have, so that the above suggestion may be typographically inconsistent)
of the basics of page layout, typographical design, etc.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>