[OS X TeX] etex versions

Joachim Kock jkock at ya.com
Fri Mar 4 15:53:13 CET 2005

>It is beyond my meager means to keep my own log of issues.

Too bad for a serious and otherwise very high-quality software
distribution.

>That would require some editing work.

You surprise me.

How do you keep track of the changes yourself?  Do you use CVS or
something? which would easily generate some logs... No?

>But I'll look into automatic copying the main ChangeLogs from TeX
>Live for the binaries in some location.

Don't copy it into a location, just make a link from you tex page to
the log file somewhere else.  A user should always have the opportunity
to scrutinise change logs BEFORE installing the software in order to
decide if it is worth the upgrade.  Just upgrading thinking that newer
is better is usually not the best strategy if you depend on the
software to get some work done.  It's a good strategy to test and play
around and learn new things, but it seems to be very difficult with
tex to keep two complete installations on the same machine...

>I do copy the ChangeLog for the teTeX texmf tree and maintain one for my
>own tree in the i-Package where they can be inspected.

Again I would suggest to have this information outside the software.
In some case this information can even save you the trouble of downloading
it.

Just my two cents.

Thanks again for your good work.

Joachim.