[OS X TeX] etex versions

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Mar 4 15:07:14 CET 2005

On 4 Mar 2005, at 1:53 pm, Joachim Kock wrote:

> One more tiny question: is this change coincident with the point where
> etex ceased to be an executable on its own and became a wrapper for
> pdfetex, or did there exist versions of pure etex that used .fmt as
> extension?

I believe (I'm sure someone will correct me if necessary) that it is
still possible, with Web2C 7.5.3, to build a "true" etex executable,
and this would also use .fmt as the format file extension.

However, teTeX-based distributions, at least, appear to be using the
single pdfetex executable, running with different options depending on
the wrapper name. So I don't know how likely it is that you'll actually
encounter such a version of etex, unless you specifically choose to
build it.

JK

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>