[OS X TeX] What kind of operation is TeXing? (concerning hardware)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Mar 4 08:32:14 CET 2005

Le 4 mars 05, à 08:07, Gerben Wierda a écrit :

> A 1.3GHz PIII (7s) outpacing a 1.6GHz G5 (10s)? An 1.2GHz G4 (my
> iBook) using 18s (almost 3 times as slow as the PIII)?

Indeed. On my 1GHz G4 PowerBook, with 1GB RAM and OS 10.3.8, result of
"time pdflatex source2e.tex" (in the directory macros/latex/base
downloaded from CTAN, with no other application running):

- First run:

	real    0m29.603s
	user    0m19.950s
	sys     0m1.330s

- Second run:

	real    0m28.308s
	user    0m20.100s
	sys     0m1.050s

- Third run:

	real    0m27.832s
	user    0m20.520s
	sys     0m1.020s

That said, compared with running TeX a dozen years ago (several minutes
for Textures to typeset a 30-pages plain TeX document with no graphics
included on a Mac Classic; between 3 and 5 minutes for MetaFont to
create a GF font and TFM metrics from its MF source on a SE/30), the
above does feel fast.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>