[OS X TeX] BibTeX problems

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Thu Mar 3 17:31:07 CET 2005

On Thursday, March 03, 2005, at 07:56AM, Jason Davies <ucgajpd at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

>>If it's BibDesk (as I suspect from your note about the error window),
>>send me the .bib file off-list, tell me exactly what  you've done, and
>>I'll take a look.
>
>thanks to all the swift responses here and elsewhere (gosh!). I now have
>a recovered version tat is working. But a couple of questions that
>follow on:
>

>1) the original file now causes BibDesk to simply fold and quit without
>any fuss. I don't have time to debug it but if anyone wants it to help
>BibDesk testing, I'm very happy to provide it.

I'd still like to see it.

>2) I wanted to add notes like reviews etc. But if they contain double
>quotes, then BibDesk complains that accents should be in braces. I don't
>want to have tortuous procedures to drop such things into BibDesk.
>What's the best way to proceed? I could set up a script that usedBBEdit
>to clean up - any better ideas?

Use the Unicode parser (BibDesk's Files preferences).  It handles accented characters in your choice of encoding, and won't complain about double quotes.  I recommend using diff to check your file with a previous version the first time you save the file  after using the Unicode parser; any problems should be reported to me.

>thanks again to everyone - I haven't contacted everyone who got in touch
>off-list as I was chasing up the first responses and now have 1 working
>file and 1 disaster zone...:-)

Glad to hear it's working!

Adam
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>