[OS X TeX] PS (from TeX) to good PDF

Joachim Kock jkock at ya.com
Wed Mar 2 21:03:51 CET 2005

>As an academic, I frequently download papers in the form of PostScript files generated by TeX on UNIX machines. I've tried many ways of converting these PostScript files to PDF, including Acrobat Distiller. However, the resulting PDF seldom allows search or text selection.
>
>Acrobat has a tool (based on OCR) that can make rasterized PDFs searchable, but it seems unable to cope with the PostScript that emerges from TeX systems. Is there no way of cleaning up this sort of PostScript?

See

.

.

.

.

d,
  Substituting outline fonts for bitmap fonts in archived PDF files
  http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~dfb/Publications/Download/2003/Probets03.pdf

which notably refers to the fixfont programme.

(I must say that I experimented with the FixFont programme some years ago without getting it to work.  This is probably due to my own ignorance.
It seems the most recent version of FixFont is beta 1.0 from 1996...)

Cheers,
Joachim.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>