[OS X TeX] overview of what TeX is producing

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Mar 2 16:07:33 CET 2005

Le 2 mars 05, à 15:20, Doug Fields a écrit :

> I read a command in the "not so short introduction to LaTeX 2e" which
> would allow you to tell it that the preceding terminal character
> should not be treated as an end of sentence. I don't recall it off the
> top of my head, but I remember it being used in an example such as
> having a period after an acronym (such as BASIC. and the sentence
> continues).

Lamport's LaTeX manual mentions two cases when TeX's determination of
the end of sentence (namely, a period not following an uppercase
letter) should be modified by the user:

- A period following a lowercase letter in an abbreviation. In this
case, use "\ " as in

	Tinker et al.\ made the double play.

- A period following an uppercase letter and ending a sentence. In this
case, use "\@" as in

	The Romans wrote I + II = III\@. Really!

There are two extensions to these rules:

- If a sentence-ending period is followed by a right parenthesis or
right quote (single or double), then the extra space goes after the
parenthesis or quote. Example from Lamport's book (also illustrating
the rule, with which I don't agree, of enclosing terminal punctuation):

	``Beans (lima, etc.)\ have vitamin B\@.''

- Exactly the same rules as for a period (.) are applied to a question
mark (?), an exclamation point (!) and a colon (:).

So in your example ("BASIC." inside a sentence) I think no special
precaution should be taken, TeX won't consider the period as ending a
sentence.

All the above, of course, applies to the (La)TeX default for the
American English language, and may be superseded by packages adapting
this default to any specific language. For example, the babel package
with the french option suppresses the extra space after a period, makes
":", ";", "?" and "!" active so that an extra space is added before
them (some purists arguing that the space before ":" should be a thin
one IIRC), etc.

Hope this helps,

Bruno

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>