[OS X TeX] overview of what TeX is producing

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Mar 2 14:41:21 CET 2005

On 2 Mar 2005, at 1:09 pm, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> Anyway that is not important, but it does seem in your text that the
> quote
> in the middle of the sentence is seen as the end of a sentence.
>
>    `Oh, I've had such a curious dream!'   said Alice.
>
> Strange, why does TeX think the closing ' is the end of a sentence
> here?

The extra-space effect of sentence-ending punctuation such as period
and exclamation is propagated past closing quote marks (and parens);
see discussion of spacefactor in the TeXbook.

> Maybe the TeX code should be something like
>
>    `Oh, I've had such a curious dream!'\ said Alice.

Yes, that will work. Or consider using \frenchspacing, which turns off
TeX's normal adjustments of inter-sentence spacing, and IMO may look
better (depending partly on the choice of typeface). But this is (as
that command name implies!) something where typographic traditions
vary.

JK

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>