[OS X TeX] overview of what TeX is producing

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Tue Mar 1 19:28:20 CET 2005

Bob Kerstetter wrote:

> My short answer. TeX nicely formats text, tables and graphics by word
> paragraph and page. It does this because Donald Knuth and now the TeX
> open source community care about the way things look and they study
> typography before coding.

One and a half additional reason:
 - I like things that are done "not for profit" and the kind of people
who do them even if, occasionally, they indulge in the "club" mentality.
So, while I am not particularly keen on the esthetics of TeX, I like the
idea of a collective enterprise that is only collective in its premisses
and its outcome but is not a gulag.
 - And then, the inevitable, but half, utilitarian reason. I want
eventually to upload my book and, for a GPL, any proprietory software
is, rightfully, out.

Which by the way,  would seem to rule out XeTeX.

And which calls for: what is a non-proprietory source drawing format?

Regards
--schremmer
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>