[OS X TeX] PDF from LaTeX and Adobe Illustrator

Alan Curtis alan.curtis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 17:00:55 CEST 2005

On Jun 30, 2005, at 5:35 AM, Pierre Chatelier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Some users of LaTeXiT has reported me that when you drag'n drop a
> PDF equation generated by pdfLaTeX to Adobe Illustrator, then
> Illustrator does not consider it as a mere image, but on the
> contrary recognized the symbols, and unfortunately replace them
> using another (ugly) font.
> I have installed the Illustrator tryout version, and I could see
> that by myself.
> Do you think there is any latex option that could be used at pdf
> generation, to get rid of this problem ?

Some solutions.

1. Drag from LaTeXit to the Desktop. From within Illustrator select
File:Place and the pdf file. This will place the pdf in the
Illustrator document, but you won't be able to edit it.

2. Drag from LaTeXit to the Desktop. In a Terminal window run 'gs -
dNOPAUSE -dNOCACHE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=epswrite -sOutputFile=latex-
image-0.eps latex-image-0.pdf'. Open the eps file in Illustrator.
This outlines the fonts and so, again, you won't be able to edit the
text, but you can move elements around.

3. You could try putting Mac postscript versions of the LaTeX fonts
in Illustrator's font path. I have had some success with this in the
past, but it does not work for all formula due to the encoding
problems mentioned here.

Hope this helps.

Alan

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>