[OS X TeX] Using Babel with I-Installer tex installation

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 30 16:47:48 CEST 2005

Le 30 juin 05 à 15:50, Frederick Hoyt a écrit :

> A follow-up: following suggestions by Bruno and Piet, I deleted any
> and all babel-related files in my ~/Library/texmf tree and reran
> texhash. This allowed me to compile the document.
>
> I had placed the babel files under my ~/ tree because I had assumed
> that they would work like other latex style files, in the sense
> that they can be located in either /usr/local/teTeX/ or in ~/
> Library/texmf, but apparently this was an incorrect assumption.

I see two possible explanations:

- The two babel in texmf.tetex on one side, and ~/Library/texmf on
the other side, belonged to different versions. And, depending on how
exactly the install was done, it may happen that some babel files
were read by XeLaTeX from texmf.tetex and others from ~/, yielding
version mismatch.

- (More likely) What's special about babel is that some of its code
is read when creating the LaTeX formats (LaTeX, pdfLaTeX,
XeLaTeX, ...). For example, if you look at /usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.local/web2c/xelatex.log (the log file created when generating
the XeLaTeX format), you'll find:

(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/babel/hyphen.cfg
File: hyphen.cfg 2004/11/20 v3.8d Babel language switching mechanism
\l at american=\language0

indicating hyphen.cfg from babel is included in the format. It may be
that your installation of babel inside ~/ was conflicting with this
pre-built babel.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>