[OS X TeX] is terminal sufficient?

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Wed Jun 29 21:00:09 CEST 2005

On Jun 28, 2005, at 2:16 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 28 Jun 2005, at 17:10, diana beatty wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> In principle everything is done through the terminal - the tools
> provide easy access. The one thing that became considerably easier
> it the source-preview (and back) navigation: spot a mistake in the
> preview, click on it, and see the mistake in the source, fix it, re-
> run and jump back to the preview. emacs and xdvi have this, and
> TeXShop and iTeXMac offer the same on Mac OS X, TeXniscope and an
> external editor also offers the same feature.

The most important difference on the Mac side in "syncing"  is
pdfsync which allows this to happen between pdf and source. This
works with a large number of editors and viewers. However, I don't
think it's been done with pico yet. If you like pico, you might try
nedit instead (it's x-windows). Alternatively, plain emacs from the
command line is more powerful then pico (it has a built in
understanding of LaTeX). It's not an easy learning curve, but given
you like the command line...

I'd still install TeXShop and iTeXMac to play with. I rotate amongst
multiple tools depending on the size of the task and my mood. There's
a long list of software on the mac-tex web site (URL below). I'd look
at all the short descriptions. I'll be something sounds good.

Joe

PS. wrt Clause, though, driving with a high performance clutch is fun!
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>