[OS X TeX] is terminal sufficient?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jun 28 22:40:45 CEST 2005

Le 28 juin 05 à 18:26, mark oilcan a écrit :

> I am also someone who hasn't found a particular use for programs such
> as TexShop or iTexMac. There are a variety of frills these programs
> provide, which can, understandably, appeal to some people but don't
> really contribute to my personal workflow. I find that 99% of the time
> I'm just using a text editor, so finding an editor I'm happy with is
> most important. It's possbile to use your choice of editors in
> TexShop,
> at least, although pico may not be an option. You may find, after you
> start to create larger and more complicated documents that the added
> frills are beneficial, or, like me, you may not.

I'm just the opposite type: 14 years ago, coming (in chronological
order) from All-in-One on Vax/VMS, Mathor and ChiWriter on MS-DOS,
and MacWrite on the Mac, I would never have even considered TeX had I
not been presented with the integrated Textures: one window for
editing the source, one window for previewing the output, one window
to insert pictures, one window for console output; one menu for file
maintenance (opening and saving) and for printing, one menu for
editing commands, one menu for typesetting commands, one menu for
previewer switches, and one menu for window management. This was all
as it should be, did I think at the time; and I still do. I precisely
like TeXShop for being as close to Textures as can be, with all the
additional goodies and responsiveness that open-source development
can provide.

Well, « tous les goûts sont dans la nature » ("it takes all sorts to
make a world")!

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>