[OS X TeX] installing font for Latex June 5

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Jun 26 10:29:32 CEST 2005

Am 26.06.2005 um 00:07 schrieb Charles Chapman Pugh:

> I have read Bruno Voisin's notes on doing such font installations,
> which can be found by googling "Installing Fonts for Latex on OS X,"
> but to the Unix novice they are daunting, and the probability of
> success (for me) seems low.  Is there not a simple way to install a
> font in OS X, which can be used easily in Latex?  In fact, at the
> beginning of Bruno's tutorial several things the reader is assumed to
> be familiar with are listed, including  other necessary installation
> guides!  It looks like a long road.

No, there is no easier way yet with PostScript fonts! If the logo would
be a TrueType or OpenType font you might be able to use it without
complications in XeTeX/XeLateX, but PostScript seems to be declared
dead by Apple. (There is Fontforge that could convert PostScript to
TrueType)

To repeat: to use a PostScript font you need its accompanying AFM file,
because that's the basis to create the TFM file for TeX use. If you use
dvips or pdfTeX you too need an entry in a MAP file that tells dvips or
pdfTeX that this font in not MF (METAFONT) based but a scalable vector
based font. This missing MAP file entry is the reason that pdfTeX
invokes mf to create a bitmap font (PK font) from an MF file for that
font in a general ljfour mode.

It's really not complicated to work in Terminal and on its command
line. Since you're already able to google, you best try to find some
introduction into the use of Terminal and the command line. I remember
there were a few when Mac OS X 10.0 came out. When you've installed TeX
with Gerben Wierda's i-Installer then your system is made ready to use
TeX from the command line. If not -- you know this list's address!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bake Pizza not war!