[OS X TeX] TeXShop/PdfTeX output resolution at 2400 dpi

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Jun 24 16:00:32 CEST 2005

Am 24.06.2005 um 14:54 schrieb ITS Mail:

> I need to make sure that the resolution of my final PDF is at least
> 2400
> dpi to send to a printing house. What is the best way to check and
> customise this using TeXShop/teTeX?

I think basically you can have only two different things in a printable
PDF file from TeX: text and graphics. Text needs a font, so make sure
you're using only vector based fonts, i.e. PostScript, TrueType,
OpenType, *no* PK. This should work, since I all more or less usual TeX
fonts (Computer Modern, Concrete. AMS, ...) are meanwhile available as
PostScript fonts. But look nevertheless into the log file: footnotes,
footnote marks, captions are usually (?) set in a different TeX then
the one(s) you choose for the main text with a \usepackage{times, ...}
or such.

If you use graphics to explain things, try to use pstricks. PS is
vector based and renders in any resolution. I think this quality is
saved too when you have EPS without bitmapped graphic content that you
need to convert to PDF -- but here I am not completely sure. If you
have other graphics you should try to convert it to PostScript or PDF.
Screenshots at 72 DPI probably can be 'enhanced' to not look like LEGO
at 2.400 DPI, but probably this work will take a long weekend, possibly
for each screenshot.

Look at your graphics at 3.000 % magnification -- that's close to from
72 DPI -> 2.400 DPI.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Behold the warranty ... the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh
away.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>