[OS X TeX] \cite woes

Michael S. Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Mon Jun 20 23:48:16 CEST 2005

On Jun 20, 2005, at 5:26 PM, Oliver Hardt wrote:

>>>  i checked the file and there are no
>>> special characters in the file.  thanks!  olli.
>>>

>> The Mac carriage returns most likely *are* the special characters
>> that are causing you problems.
>>

> after saving the file as UNIX in alpha, i did the entire
> latex/bibtex/latex/latex run again (after i deleted all aux files and
> everything else that was created); the result is the same as before.
>
> since i do not know whether UNIX option in alpha equals UTF-8, i
> cannot say whether the suggested modifications worked or not.

	You can probably do the following in Alpha as well, but since I know
BBEdit/TextWrangler:  Download a (free) copy of TextWrangler, open your
file, choose "Zap Gremlins..." (under Text menu) and delete all three
types of characters shown.  Then choose "Save As..." and click the
"Options..." button.  Make the Line Breaks "Unix" and the Encoding
"Western (Mac OS Roman)".  Save your file and repeat your steps above
(deleting .aux files, etc.).  If you still have the same problems, then
the file format is almost certainly not the problem -- more likely a
misplaced brace or other character as Herb suggested earlier.

	To further echo the advice of Herb:  "Good luck!"

                                         -- Mike

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>