[OS X TeX] Side by side equations

Francesco Costanzo costanzo at engr.psu.edu
Mon Jun 20 16:46:19 CEST 2005

On Jun 20, 2005, at 10:23 AM, Novak Elliott wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is something that puzzled me for ages---how to get side-by-
> side equations of the form:
>
>               a = b + c           and            d = f +
> g                    (1a,b)
>
> i.e., two equations on the same line with subequation numbering.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> cheers,
> Novak.

Novak:

The following is not particularly elegant but it works. The main
problem with the following solution is that there is no direct way to
refer to one of the subequations using a label.

Francesco.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\begin{equation}
\renewcommand{\theequation}{\arabic{equation}a,~b}
\label{eq:pippo}
1 = 1
\quad\text{and}\quad
2=2
\end{equation}
With the above solution, when you need to refer to a subequation, you
will need to do it as follows:
As you can see in Eq.~(\ref{eq:pippo}a), bla bla bla \ldots
i.e., you need to explicitly type the `a' or `b'.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

--
Francesco Costanzo
Associate Professor

Engineering Science and Mechanics Department
The Pennsylvania State University
212 Earth and Engineering Sciences Bldg.
University Park, PA 16802-1401
USA

Phone:   (814)863-2030
Fax:     (814)863-7967