[OS X TeX] Glosstex & nomencl

Novak Elliott N.S.J.Elliott at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Jun 20 16:11:20 CEST 2005

Here's an update:

I've installed XCode 1.5 and it does indeed contain gcc and make.

To get glosstex to compile I had to comment out line 35 of error.c:
/* extern char* sys_errlist[]; */
=> this conflicted with the definition in stdio.h

glosstex works although it doesn't recognise the fact that I installed the STY, STD and IST files into the texmf source tree.  The easy work around is obviously to stick these files in the current working directory.

I got the example on the Cambridge website to work:
http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/glosstex.html

However:

1. When introducing medical terms for the first time in the text I prefer to use bold font.  But placing a \textbf{} around the \glosstex{word} in question makes it disappear from the text, even though it appears in the glossary!

2. Also, I'd like to get rid of the Glossary heading produced by \printglosstex{glo}, as I already have my own preferred chapter headings which are managed via a STY file.

=> I guess delving into the murky depths of the glosstex package is the solution here but if anyone else has succeeded before I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

cheers,
Novak.

>>> N.S.J.Elliott at warwick.ac.uk 06/20/05 11:23am >>>
Hi all,

I'd like to incorporate glossary and nomeclature chapters into my thesis and the GlossTeX and nomencl packages look like what I need.

However, after downloading glosstex I discovered that I don't OS X doesn't come with a c compiler or the 'make' utility.  I'm presently downloading XCode (1.5) in the hope that this will give me the development tools I need but I thought there would be smaller gcc and make packages for OS X available.

Has anyone else successfully used the glosstex and nomencl packages on OS X?  If so, how did you go about installing them?

cheers,
Novak.