[OS X TeX] extra footnote set for graphics

Florian Grammel grammel at gmx.net
Wed Jun 15 19:49:50 CEST 2005

We want to typeset a longish paper on palaeography.
As we'll need a lot of special characters, that we all have in one
Unicodefont, we decided to try doing so using XeLaTeX. There are also
a lot of tiny clips (most about 5 x 5 mm) from manuscripts-scans that
the text refers to. It would be a waste of space to insert them
properly as pictures usually would be, collecting them at the end of
the paper would be impractical (there would be up to 30 references on
one page) and just inserting them into the text would ruin the line-
spacing.

In the book "The Palaeography of Gothic Manuscript Books. From the
Twelfth to the Early Sixteenth Century" by Albert Derolez Cambridge
University Press has solved the problem very elegantly by using two
sets of footnotes: one for the ordinary ones and one for the examples
at the bottom of the page, depending on how many there are of each,
neatly arranged in relation to each other. I've uploaded a scan if
anybody wants to have a look: http://img248.echo.cx/img248/8566/
palaeoexampel4oz.jpg

The book states that it was typeset using LaTeX2e -- so it should be
possible...
Does anybody know, how they might have achieved this layout?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Florian Grammel
Alex S. Kjeldsen

Den Arnamagnæanske Samling