[OS X TeX] Textures -> TeXShop migration

Peter Vamos P.Vamos at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Jun 15 17:20:00 CEST 2005

Dear List,

While upgrading to Tiger I decided to say good-bye to OS 9 and so to
Textures, the only application I was still using under OS 9 and
Panther. It was a sad moment for me, Textures was a great programe
and I was using it since it wasn't even called Textures and was sold
by Addison-Wesley.

I am now writing to tap into the collective wisdom of this list to
find answers to a number of problems which cropped up. Maybe some
other migrants will also find my experiences useful. But first an
acknowledgement: I want to thank RichardK, GerbenW and the other
contributors for making TeXShop and i-Installer available free to the
Mac OSX community. My installation went fine. I thought that I might
loose some functionality and easy of use in this transition, but did
not expect problems with my files. It turned out to be the other way
round! I was tempted to make this move by the new version 2.xx of
TeXShop promising new syncronization with Tiger: this in fact works
OK (not quite as well as Textures though) but TeXShop gives a lot
more extras and so many things to customize! I haven't tried iTeXMac
yet, I notice that this, too leapt to version 2.xx.

So here are my questions, all arising from trying to run my existing
files. Setup: OS 10.4.1 TeXShop 2.03 i-Installer v2 Full 2005 install.

1. PdfLaTeX could not handle landscape in my seminar documentclass
files (but see for a patch below). In fact I now find that many other
presentation packages suffer from the same problem e.g. prosper,
foil. This is a pity since presentation (which are usually in
landscape mode) and pdf are made for each other. I would appreciate
recommendations of packages which work with landscape mode, PdfLaTeX
and can handle seminar files with little alteration.

2. \marks seems to be a primitive of pdfLaTeX but not of LaTeX.
Anyone knows what it does? And are there any other commands
introduced by PdfLaTeX? I had to use \renewcommand to get back the
\marks I had defined, but it is not good practice to do this
especially if you don't know what the original does.

3. Is there a 'LaTeX mode' of typesetting in TeXShop or an add-on?
(i.e. run typesetting twice, 3-times etc automatically until all
references, indices are done. I know  that there is a (paid for)
`Flash Mode' available.)

4. (Sorry, generic not Mac OSX question) Any views on the relative
merits of using, for frequently used preambles, use a file to \input
or make a package and  \usepackage or compile your on  LaTeX? Books
tell you that the last one has the advantage of running much faster,
but can it be done for PdfLaTeX?

If you are not interested in the background you can stop reading here.

1. My files in document class 'seminar' are in landscape mode. These
would typeset OK but not preview and print properly with PdfLaTeX,
all content are pushed up and to the left, the same effect described
by someone here trying to use \magnification in PdfTeX. Tried
typesetting with 'TeX and Ghostscript' and got error messages!
Changed Distiller to Apple and it worked. OK, turns out Full install
does not install Ghostscript, installed and this works OK as well.
However, doing things this way one loses syncronicity or has to
change typesetting at the end, not a very convenient mode of
operation.

Searching the internet resulted in a work-around, one needs to add a
few lines of code, enclosed at the end of this message. There is also
a package 'fixseminar.sty' but this didn't work for me, maybe this
only works as part of the TeXPower package.
[Minor suggestion to RichardK: make Apple the default Distiller in
versions 2.xx, since basic/full is recommended to first timers by
i-Installer, this would save some time and head scratching to
newcomers.]

2. Another batch of my files would produce the error message that
\marks was already defined + subsequent errors. Fortunately, \marks
was in a custom .sty file, after changing to \renewcommand all was
well. On investigating, PdfLaTeX reports: *\show \marks
	>\marks=\marks
indicating that this is a primitive. But it isn't in LaTeX. Hence my
question 2. what is the meaning of \marks ?

3. Yet another batch of my files would give strange errors but they
work OK for me in Textures. Not a question of new primitives or eps
files. This paradox wasted more of my time than it should have. At
the end I had to change only a few characters of code in a macro. It
is a bit TeX-ish so I put it in a different message: 'Textures
TeXShop paradox'.

4. My experiences with problems 1. and 3. made me realize that I had
some bad habits, I would generate 'like' files by the Save As ...
method. I would tell my students to use macros for often used
constructs but would not myself use \input or construct a package for
frequently used preambles. Now I will have to change individual files
instead of just one input file or style file. This is behind my
question 4.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for your attention if you read so far.

		Peter Vamos

%%%%%%% modification to work with PdfLaTex %%%%%
\makeatletter
\newif\ifpdf
\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined
\pdffalse % we are not running PDFLaTeX
\else
\pdfoutput=1 % we are running PDFLaTeX
\pdftrue
\fi
\ifpdf % set correct page sizes for pdfTeX
\AtBeginDocument % makes the settings hyperref-proof
{%
   \setlength{\pdfhorigin}{1truein} % define page origin
   \setlength{\pdfvorigin}{1truein} % define page origin
   % class option portrait set?
   \@ifclasswith{seminar}{portrait}
   {% then page dimensions portrait
     \setlength{\pdfpagewidth}{\strip at pt\paperwidth truept}%
     \setlength{\pdfpageheight}{\strip at pt\paperheight truept}%
     }
   {% else landscape
     \setlength{\pdfpagewidth}{\strip at pt\paperheight truept}%
     \setlength{\pdfpageheight}{\strip at pt\paperwidth truept}%
     }
   }
\fi
\makeatother
%%%%%%%  end modification to work with PdfLaTex %%%%%
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>